- In an emergency, respond immediately.
- Consult the person to whom you are responsible.
- Decide together whether to seek advice or to make an immediate referral.
- Keep a record of what happened, your concerns and your actions.
- Tell your minister and/or safeguarding representative.
- Only tell others who need to know.
- Listen. Keep listening. Do not question or investigate.
- Do not promise confidentiality; tell them we need to share this.
- Assure them they are not to blame.
- Tell them what you are going to do and that they will be told what happens.
- Make careful notes of what is said, record dates, times, events and when you are told.
- Report it to the person to whom you are responsible and your minister or safeguarding representative.
- Only tell those who need to know.
- Treat everyone with respect, setting a positive example for others.
- Respect personal space and privacy.
- Ensure another adult is present or within sight or hearing of any activity.
- Ensure any actions cannot be misinterpreted by someone else.
- Challenge unacceptable behaviour.
- Do not put anyone, including yourself, in a vulnerable or compromising situation.
- Do not have inappropriate physical or verbal contact with others.
- You must not keep allegations or suspected abuse secret.
Creating Safer Space - Foundation Module training and Refresher training
|Saturday 17 February 2018||9:45am for 10:00am||Wilstead Methodist Church|
|Friday 22 June 2018||6:45pm for 7:00pm||Wilstead Methodist Church|
|Saturday 17 November 2018||9:45am for 10:00am||Wilstead Methodist Church|
|Tuesday 20 March 2018||6:45pm for 7pm||Flitwick Methodist Church.|
|Tuesday 17 April 2018||9.45am for 10:00am||Trinity Methodist Church, Biggleswade.|
|Saturday 14 July 2018||9.45am for 10am||Park Road Methodist Church.|
|Wednesday 17 October 2018||6:45pm for 7pm||Priory Methodist Church.|
Training in 2018
Creating Safer Space
Foundation Module Handbook
The Methodist Church, along with the whole Christian community, believes each person has a value and dignity which comes directly from Gods creation of male and female in Gods own image and likeness. Christians see this as fulfilled by Gods re-creation of us in Christ. Among other things, this implies a duty to value all people as bearing the image of God and therefore to protect them from harm.
Note: these documents are also available for downloading on the Policy Downloads Page.
Find the contact details for the Circuit Team member with oversight for your church on the Circuit Team page.
The Circuit Safeguarding Co-ordinator is Alistair Campbell, Tel: 01234 290858
The Circuit Safeguarding Administrator is Lynn Campbell, Tel: 01234 290858
For all enquiries and contact related to Safeguarding or Safeguarding training in the Methodist Church, North Bedfordhsire Circuit, please use our new email address
The District Safeguarding Co-ordinator is Gill Crippen, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Tel: 07793 012215
CCPAS: the Churches' Child Protection Advisory service
0845 120 4550 Childline: 0800 1111 Silverline: 0800 470 80 90 National Domestic Violence Help Line: 0808 2000 247 Police Protection Unit: 01234 846 960 NSPCC Helpline: 0808 800 5000
- 24 hour help line on safeguarding children & vulnerable adults
Childline: 0800 1111
Silverline: 0800 470 80 90
National Domestic Violence Help Line: 0808 2000 247
Police Protection Unit: 01234 846 960
NSPCC Helpline: 0808 800 5000
The Methodist Connexional and National Website Safeguarding Page
The Methodist District Website Safeguarding Page
www.nspcc.org.uk has many useful resources, including research studies and fact sheets.
www.stopitnow.org.uk is a freephone confidential helpline for people with concerns about child sexual abuse which gives advice, support and information. Tel: 0808 1000 900
www.childrenandyouth.org.uk is the Methodist Church children and youth web page.
DBS checks: there are new guidelines for DBS checks (as part of Safer Recruitment)
Safeguarding Incident Record Keeping: there are new guidelines available on the connexion website. These guidelines include two templates for churches and circuits, available on the Downloads page.
Safeguarding in LEP's: New guidelines are available on the connexion website
To correct or add to information on this page, please contact the website manager on 01234 825246 or email@example.com